Thursday, October 17, 2013

Beer Crust Pizza!


Do you ever get a pizza craving, but you're broke, or trying to eat less crap, or you just live in the middle of nowhere so delivery is just not an option?  Do you hate waiting around for lesser organisms to gas your carbs up?  Me too!  Do you have a bottle of beer?  Of course you do, so tell the yeast to shove it and make some beer crust for your za!


I used this "Beer Pizza Crust" recipe as a base.  I followed it exactly, but I added a little garlic powder and Italian seasoning to zest it up.  My beer of choice for this was Molson Canadian. Being from Buffalo I am a great fan of Canadian lagers.  My favorite cheap Canadian beer is Labatt Blue Light, but I have never seen it at any grocery store around here.  There is one Shop Rite in West Haven that carries Molson, so I settle for that.  I should see if one of the larger liquor stores around here carries Labatts, OR just pick some up when I go to Buffalo next week!  Yay!  Fall break, Halloween in Buffalo!  THE BEST!


So mix up your dough in a bowl.  It is gonna be super sticky.  You should probably oil your hands first and have a bowl of flour handy.  I put some corn meal on the bottom of the pan before I plopped the dough down to make it a lil crunchy and keep it from sticking.  I used a rolling pin to smooth it out.  I used a smaller tray, probably should have used a bigger one; the crust was kinda thick.  And being a Buffalo pizza purist I like thicker crust, but this was almost too much, a little thinner would have been ideal.

Add your toppings.  I used regular old tomato sauce from a jar, parmesan cheese, banana peppers, and mushrooms all topped with some crushed red pepper flakes.  My favorite pizza toppings are banana peppers, mushrooms, and olives.  I prefer green olives, but I will settle for black.  I also prefer fresh mushrooms, but all I had was canned, and that's ok.  My mom always used canned mushrooms when she made pizza when I was growing up, so awww food nostalgia.

Bake at 450 until the crust reaches desired level of crispness.  I honestly do not remember how long that took.  I didn't take notes, or I took them on looseleaf and not in the notebook! Can you believe it? Oh well, this wasn't a challenge.

Uggghhh guess that oil spot has been on my camera lens for at least two weeks.  How did I not notice until two days ago!  Oh well, I got a new phone yesterday that has a camera that is even BETTER than my real camera, so I will be using that from now on :)

Thick n crusty ... just how I likes my women ;)

Slice it up and dig in!  Why yes I did slice my rectangular pizza into triangles, what of it?  It's classier, ok? Square pizza slices are reminiscent of crappy sheet pizzas at children's birthday parties with sad clowns and warm pop.  It's hip to be a triangle!  Enjoy!  This is also great cold for breakfast the next day :)


3 cups flour (I used white all purpose, use wheat or whatever you like)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Olive oil
Seasonings of choice (optional)
Cornmeal (optional)

Mix it, spread it, top it, bake it, slice it, eat it.

And if you're curious where to get the best pizza (hint, it's NOT thin New Haven crap), try Bocce's!  They are based in Buffalo, but ship across the country!  Soooo good.  Try mushroom with sauce or a white pizza!  I gotta get pizza when I go home to visit Buffalo.  It's just not the same anywhere else <3 Buffalove!

No comments :

Post a Comment